Free friday - the simple life

2 comments

This year I'm preparing for a veggie garden XL. I started sowing seeds weeks ago and the whole house is slowly turning into a greenhouse. The more seedlings go into the garden, the more I feel healthy and good, just by planting the first spuds!

I enjoy the thought of being able to grow my own food, it makes you dwell on the good things in life, the easy and uncomplicated. It's funny... the last few weeks I've come across lots of articles, blogs and information about making your life easy and simple (not to mention the poster I made for the 'Simplify your life book' by Flow magazine). It's almost like this 'movement' is finding me, instead of the other way round.

Might it be possible that some 'outer force' knows I need this, after the busy and stressful weeks of moving and getting used to my new residence? Or maybe this is my own intuition taking me by the hand? Anyway, I'm enjoying this new way, it makes my mind at peace, my shoulders light and my thoughts free.

The same joy I feel when growing food, I feel when baking. So to share the joy (even if you're not a kitchen goddess, you can make this cake), here's my fave cake recipe of the moment:

Zucchini bread (it's actually a cake, why do they call it bread?)

Ingredients:
3 cups* of flour (I prefer wholemeal, but you can use plain flower)
2 1/4 cups brown sugar (or palm sugar, a more healthy version)
1 cup of sunflower oil
2 cups grated zucchini (this is about one normal size zucchini)
1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, whatever you got)
3 eggs
3 teaspoons of cinnamon
2 teaspoons of baking soda (not baking powder, but baking soda, in
                                     the Netherlands you can buy this at the toko)

Mix everything together with a spoon (make sure the baking soda is well mixed into the batter)
Put it in a buttered baking tray or tin and bake it in the middle of the oven at 170 C** for about 40-60 minutes (just check it now and then, it's ready if, when sticking a knife in the middle it comes out clean).

All done!

*1 cup = 240 ml
** 170 C = 388 F = gas oven mode 2

------------------------------------------------
A few 'simple' links:
slowyourhome.com
bewuste-eenvoud.blogspot.com (dutch)
degroenemeisjes.nl (dutch)
soulemama.com
------------------------------------------------

Have a simply delicious weekend!




2 comments:

  1. Ja mooi he, hoe dingen op het juiste moment op je pad komen? Fijn weekend voor jou ook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your little mini garden looks great , guess my kitchen looks just like that in the moment
    enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete

all content on this blog © Kim Welling unless stated otherwise. Powered by Blogger.